Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

After Sturgis Ride 2009

Finally after months of planning, the day arrived in which Andrew and I would venture to South Dakota on our motorcycles. Monday morning couldn't arrive soon enough! By 4:45 AM we were leaving the driveway in 70 degree weather with humidity to match. The air was thick and the morning still dark. Our first stop was in Mauston at the Kwik Trip off of I-90 for gas (Andrew) and then breakfast at the McDonald's across from the gas station. G-nome got his first photo opp here to a confused employee! The next stop was in Winona where we both needed fuel. Andrew's tank is just a 3.7 including the reserve where mine is the new 6 gallon tank that Harley-Davidson introduced in 2007. The range of the larger tank is great for the Touring Rider. As we left the Kwik Trip in Winona we headed for Winona HD which was about double the size of my garage and they were closed. As we got back on I-90 heading west we passed The Spam Museum in Austin, MN (which we plan to visit on our way home if time permits). Just west of Austin is Albert Lea and home to Bergdale Harley-Davidson. We will be spending next Saturday night next door at Holiday Inn Express.

One last gas stop for the day in my Road Glide was just east of Sioux Falls. Andrew asked for some Bug Slide to clean his Nolan Modular Helmet. As we left the gas station I forgot to secure the right saddlebag and shortly after getting on I-90 Andrew rode up alone side me to point my mistake out. I pulled over immediately and secured the bag. G-none was still resting as were the soft lowers! A few miles later Andrew told me that my HD flat fitted cap blew out though! This forced us to make a stop at J&L Harley-Davidson in Sioux Falls, SD. After purchasing a new cap (same style) and have some gourmet coffee we headed for one last gas stop for Andrew. We later arrived at Days Inn in Mitchell after traveling 574.8 miles and came to rest at 4:39 PM. After the hot tub and waterslide, dinner was served to us by Rudy Tuesday as they advertised "free" delivery!

Tuesday the plan is to hit The Corn Palace, then the ride north and west alone the Missouri River, onto the Badlands and Wall Drug. Photos of our ride will be posted some time next week.

No comments: