Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Our 1st Harley



In 2002 a year prior to the birthday bash of enormous proportions, I informed my wife that I would be attending Harley-Davidson’s 100th Anniversary in Milwaukee in 2003. She replied, “Go ahead and take the mini-van!” Yeah right, we live within 50 miles of what would become the party of the century and I wasn’t about to view it from the confines of a soccer mom’s white Plymouth Voyager, even if it did have a Harley-Davison decal on it! I started shopping for what would become the best looking bike ever, a 1994 Heritage Classic. I found just what I was looking for at an Indian Motorcycle dealership in the Chicago area. I called them and placed the bike on hold for 24 hours. When I arrived, the bike was everything they promised it would be, in fact, there were two guys waiting and praying that I passed up this bike so they could fight over it! Since I hadn’t ridden for many years, one of the salesmen took me out in a subdivision and told me he had all night and we weren’t leaving until I felt comfortable.

After the deal was made, $12,500 later I started my journey back to Wisconsin on I-90. It wasn’t long before the rain started hitting my face like small pebbles. As I got wetter I became more excited to be traveling on the open road, on a Harley without a care in the world. I stopped under a few bridge underpasses and tucked up underneath to stay warm for a few minutes at a time. As I huddled by myself, I never looked away from that bike sitting along side the highway, with its air cooled V-Twin engine saying “potato-potato.” With each passing semi truck I prayed, please don’t hit her! I finally made it to Janesville, WI and exited I-90, by this time the rain had stopped as I rode with my eyes wide opened north on Highway 26 to Watertown. I didn’t sleep much that night and when I did I dreamed of my first ride on a Harley-Davidson air cooled V-twin!

Days later I went to a buddy’s house to show off my bike. He took one look and said, “You’re not going to believe this.” He went into his garage and pulled the cover off his Harley, a 1993 Heritage Classic, and same exact color! Weeks passed and I decided to take my wife for a ride. After one ride she said she wasn’t comfortable! So I did what every husband would do in a similar situation, I divorced her! Yeah like hell I did! We went looking for a Harley bagger. She actually found one close to home. I sold the Heritage (I still miss it as I type this article) and bought the 2000 FLHT Standard, black of course. Many miles were added to this bike and I made a decision about the type of rider I was. I was a long distance junky. Riding a few miles every other day just didn’t come close to satisfying my hunger. I wanted all the comforts of my favorite recliner! I had to have a radio, cruise control and a back rest. I went searching on eBay and found a 2000 Suede Green & Black Ultra Classic with only 2,800 miles on it. I made the deal for $16,500 and met the owner outside Disney World in 2003 days prior to Daytona Bike Week. The deal was made and I traveled with my Heritage Classic buddy and others to Daytona Bike Week 2003.

No comments: